Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Summer Salad

I had been rocking the breakfast smoothies, and by rocking, I mean I've had two. It's hard when I get up so early and my roommate is sleeping in the adjacent room with no door closer. Does anyone know if the smoothies are still as healthy and tasty if I made them the night before? Like with fresh juices, they say to drink them immediately or at least within 3 hours.
Other summer breakfasts have been simply a piece of fruit or two, especially since I've been going through Natalia Rose's Raw Food Detox Diet, in which she goes through food combining methods. Apparently you're supposed to eat fruit alone on an empty(ish) stomach: at least three hours after anything else. I feel like I eat too much fruit anyway (I know that sounds stupid but it IS a lot of sugar and I eat it to the detriment of vegetables) so stay on the safe side, I've been eating only fruit until lunchtime and then no more fruit for the rest of the day. I feel as though I get my quota in. This also helps make for a higher percentage of raw eating.
Anyway, last week my mom dropped off my sister with some goodies from a trip her and my father had taken down to the Chesapeake. Apparently they drove back with about 50 dollars worth of farm produce. She gave me: pea shoots, a tomoato, some ears of corn, a bell pepper, an eggplant, and a yellow summer squash. Thanks, ma!
So I made a salad for dinner featuring these raw, fresh, cooling summer beauties. Everything came together so well and was so sweet and delicious. I used the squash, raw corn, green pepper, and pea shoots from my mother with some parsley, spinach, onion, and cucumber I had from before. Boy-oh. Raw corn, man. I only put the tiniest bit of balsamic vinegar on as a dressing to let the flavors best shine through.

My only thought was that it might have been even better with tomato cut into it, but I had already devoured the entire huge tomato my mother had given me. That was damn good.
Seasonal eating really is the way to go. No more will I reconsider Farmer's Market prices, I just have to maybe not eat an entire pint of blueberries in one day.

1 comment:

  1. Gorgeous Salad! Seems like so few people appreciate fresh picked produce.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.