Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Fast Day means a Fast Post

I'm fasting for Ash Wednesday. Catholics are allowed one meal on this day, and one or two smaller bits of food that can't equal up to another meal. Since breakfast is the most important meal of the day, as we all should know by now, I picked that one to savor and tried my damndest to get the most nutrition in as I could. Green smoothie it was.

After yesterday's kale-grapefruit juice, I decided to go back to a classic. This blend was spinach, 1 banana, some ice cubes, TJ Berry Green Powder, water, and a few frozen blueberries. I also had coffee since I waited a little later in the day to have the smoothie.
I tried to keep myself busy during the day and was mostly successful but felt a little queasy and tired around 1 so I napped for an hour! It was nice, actually. I went to service at 3, photocopied my zine, ran a few errands, and returned home and had some tea.
Then at 7 I couldn't really hold off any longer, so I made a small bowl of miso broth with spinach and a few edamame.

It helped a lot and I feel a bit guilty about the inclusion of the edamame, because it probably wasn't necessary, but I think this still counts as a small meal.
I then prepared the Lemony-Olive Tempeh Tagine for tomorrow. We have plenty of food in the apartment but I kind of needed something to do. Ha, cooking kept my mind off of eating in some weird way. That's pretty telling about how much I eat just to have something to do. Geez.
Anyway, the fast was pretty easy but I definitely was getting a little menu planning and blog reading. Good to get stuff done. See you tomorrow with some REAL FOOD FINALLY.

10 comments:

  1. I love miso soup! What a great idea to add some spinach and edamame! I am looking forward to your lemony-olive tempeh :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally know what you mean about cooking keeping your mind off food; it seems ironic, but it's a relaxing activity to focus on, and if you have the resolve not to eat it right away, it gives you something to look forward to.

    Good job on the fast. I don't think your edamame should make you feel guilty, but like I said, I was raised Catholic, so I know how that goes. :)

    Hope you post about the Lemony-Olive Tempeh Tagine, sounds like a marvelous dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your edamame sounds wonderful- I can never get enough miso soup, and love all the different possible variations that keep things interesting.

    And by the way, I don't think anyone should ever feel guilty about eating edamame. In my opinions, they're one of the healthiest things you could eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesterday was a green smoothie day for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay...good job on the fast! Fasting is very hard! No better way to start the day than with a green smoothie...I'm addicted to them!

    I agree with with Rose and Hannah...I don't think you should feel guilty at all about adding edamame to your soup, which looks very good!

    I can't wait to see the Lemony-Olive Tempeh! Tagine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth, isn't miso great? I love to add all kinds of things in.

    Rose, that's probably it. I also think smelling a meal sometimes makes me feel as if I've eaten it so it satisfies on that level too. Glad you understand! And I hope the tagine is worthy!

    Aimee, thanks :)

    Hannah, exactly - there is so much you can do with miso, and it's almost always good.

    Eve, I think spring's a-comin ;)

    Michelle, thanks. It was relatively easy compared to some other people's fasts but I'm a gal who needs to eat. No better addiction than a green smoothie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I don't think you should feel guilty about edamame. You need your strength, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That definitely sounds like a small meal. It sounds so yummy I want to make up a batch of it. Nice and light and green...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, B-Mama. It was definitely heartening.

    Kris, it was nice! I think I'll make it more often too.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.