Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, April 16, 2012

Zines and Eats

Hey all (including potential new friends I met yesterday who took the trouble to actually visit the website scrawled on the inside of Marmalade Umlaut.)
Anyway, the Brooklyn Zine Fest yesterday was lots of fun. I didn't make it to the vegan pop up shop (perhaps Abby Bean will have a recap of that for you?) so I can't show you all the goodies I might have picked up there - and there did seem to be a bunch of exciting vendors - but I WILL show you my zine haul!




Lots of fun stuff - it's going to take me a while to get through it all. Some I particularly look forward to/ enjoyed already are: International Girl Gang Underground, Homos in Herstory (1920s ed.), This Isn't Working (Comics about Ex-Boyfriends), Hairstory, Wall Street Cat, Panic, and so on...I'm excited.
Anyway, fun as it was to talk to people (fueled by much beer) and trade reading materials, the day was pretty draining, mentally and physically - I biked to both this event and Greg's show later that night (which was a great one btw). See, it's funny; I zine partially because I have a lot of anxiety about social interaction so I prefer to stay home and write my thoughts out in solitude. And then the whole concept of a zine fest is about being social and talking things up and ahhh..! But I sort of figure most people who zine feel the same way, so I tried to step it up and be friendly.
SO I was happy to sleep in a little this morning, run a couple errands, and read and clean the house. I got groceries and baked Jackie's Blackberry Mango Muffins.


Lookit that cute little berry nestled inside! These also have pistachios in them; you can kind of see them at the top, being all green and nutty and awesome. I was a little worried about how they'd come out because I halved the recipe and you know how they say baking just can't successfully be played around with like that BUT the muffins are delicious and not very sweet, which I love. I feel like you can taste the flavors better that way.
One of these was basically my lunch. Okay, plus a couple extra pistachios.
Dinner was equally tasty and a bit more nutritious:

Spinach, carrots, tomato, bell pepper, chickpeas AND tempeh, avocado, zucchini topped with nooch, black pepper, in a dijon-balsamic dressing.
And all was well. Okay, I'm gonna go work on my zine!

22 comments:

  1. Look at that zine haul! Looks like it was a fun time and you definitely have tons of reading material now! I'm very similar to you in terms of social interaction, especially around new people but it definitely seems like it was a successful day and night for you!

    Those muffins look and sound amazing! I love the cross section with the fun berry. Very cute! Dinner looks great as always and good luck with the next issue! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks :) I am trying to get better about getting out of the house and meeting people. The next issue should be fun - I'm moving slowly but almost done

      Delete
  2. Hum, my first comment didn't take, and it was a long one! Sheesh, I really don't want to have to retype it, so suffice it to say that I'm happy you went out and enjoyed yourself, and good food! Yeah, that sums it up. Hopefully, this one will take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you blessed mama, and for the repeat comment. It was all of those things. :)

      Delete
  3. That's quite an exciting haul of reading material — I hope you have a comfy chair and some spare time lined up to enjoy it. I think a lot of bloggers have the same social issues, and blogging started out pretty anonymously, so it was a "safe" way to put some writing out into the universe. But things have really changed with all the cookbooks and conferences, and now many have widespread recognition. I get what you mean.

    The muffins look so muffin-y — just perfect with their rounded tops and great texture. I want a muffin. Your dinner looks yummy, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still working through the material! And yes, I think I appreciate that about the blogging community - we're all a little weird. :) The muffins were great. Can you get the gluten free stuff to rise??

      Delete
    2. I haven't actually tried to make gf muffins but I made a bread that kind of rose. And a pizza crust that was delish.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a lot of fun! All of the zines you mentioned sound really interesting - can't wait to hear what you think!! I know what you mean about getting it all out on paper, and it is my belief that many of us who enjoy writing are introverts (preferring a small group over a group). But, perhaps I am projecting!

    Oooh, muffins! They look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will let you know! I anticipate them all being wonderful. And I strongly agree with the introvert statement. It's probably why I like this community so much.

      Delete
  5. OMG, how horrible. So cuz you have a zine you have to buy everyone else's zine?

    Oh well, the muffins look good. I need to bake something like those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have to BUY them. We cool; we trade. Bake the muffins!

      Delete
  6. That is an intriguing pile of zines! Happy Reading!

    The little berry in that muffin is indeed cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to be best friends with tiny berries.

      Delete
  7. I guess you've got enough to read (& hopefully inspire you) for a while. The muffins look great. I'm not a big mango eater but I might like them in muffins. And I love berries. I hope you're having a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully inspire, indeed! It's a give and take and share community, and I love it. You can barely taste the mango in the muffins but they lend a nice moistness and sweetness.

      Delete
  8. Your zine haul is awesome! Love that Brooklyn has a zine fest & love that you were able to meet tons of cool people and sell some zines. But I totally get the people-detox thing. I'm not much of an extrovert & can only handle so much at one time. Cleaning and munching on awesome looking muffins sounds like the perfect cure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's one of the few reasons I still love Brooklyn :) The cleaning wasn't so much fun but I liked the eating muffins part!

      Delete
  9. Blackberry and mango! What an interesting combo!!! I am waiting for my neighbors mango tree to be ready to pick! I have some hanging over on my side of the fence ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you to be in Hawaii! Sounds fantastic.

      Delete
  10. Mini-recap posted! http://www.a-soy-bean.blogspot.com/2012/04/bigger-and-better-vegan-shop-up.html

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.