Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Not Nicoise

Not exactly, anyway, but pretty inspired by the typical Nicoise salad.


Spinach, watercress, red onion, kalamata olives, tomatoes, boiled red potatoes, and roasted chickpeas.
I don't eat potatoes very often anymore, for whatever reason. I mostly got this recipe in mind because I was going to make it for my mom on mother's day but she said she had too much food at the house! Who refuses a daughter's home-cooked meal?? Anyway, I had bought the ingredients and once an idea is in mind, it's hard for me not to think...or obsess about it.
This was super good. I love olives. I love tomatoes. I love chickpeas and red onion. I love warm foods mixed with crunchy, cold foods. Watercress, I never buy but I also love it! The whole salad was topped with a creamy tahini sauce and black pepper. And it was awesome.
My mother's birthday is next weekend anyway so I may still make the dish. Let's call this a test run. A tasty test run.

22 comments:

  1. I would love this! Well, minus the olives. I think once your mom has it she'll regret refusing it on Mother's day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have eaten all the ingredients already!

      Delete
  2. This sounds delicious! I hope you're able to make it next weekend for mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too! And I hope she likes it...

      Delete
  3. Great salad! I love mixing cooked veg with fresh stuff in salad too. It's a funny coincidence, because I made sort of a nicoise-inspired salad today too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was it raw? I'd love to hear more about that.

      Delete
  4. Yum! I bet your mom will love this! You can't go wrong with roasted chickpeas and potatoes ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you get down with the roasted chickpeas too :)

      Delete
  5. This look so perfect! I would have munched it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Train your kidlets to make it for you!

      Delete
  6. I just had potatoes too for the first time in months and months, in a potato chickpea curry. You're right, watercress must be allowed to shine more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh both are great in curries, I should make something like that next!

      Delete
  7. I was in the same boat, only I can't justify making fancy oyster mushroom scallops just for myself. Birthday cooking works too! I hope she loves it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that sound delicious. Instead you two just had a major weekend. That works!

      Delete
  8. I love to jump into your dysfunctional sh*t (I'm not sure if I would call a Salad a 'home cooked meal)' but here's some unsolicited assvice: Carvel and Baskin-Robbins make these things called 'Ice Cream Cakes'. Give one of those to your Mom and you go enjoy your bowl food and everyone will be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm! A friend of mine made me a sort-of nicoise salad the other day, it was super awesome. It had kale! :) I also love the combo of warm/comforting and cold/crunchy...probably why rice bowls with uncooked veggies on top are my fave! Also I think salad is technically home-cooked when there are cooked things in it. Just sayin'. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh can't go wrong with kale. Yeah, rice bowls are a perfect example of that texture + taste. So good.

      Delete
  10. Olives, chickpeas, potatoes, tahini dressing? I'm there. This sounds great. I'm about to go to the kitchen and make tahini dressing for tonight's salad. Can't get enough of the stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's so creamy and goes with everything. I love it too.

      Delete
  11. Mmm that salad looks better than most nicoise salads I've ever had! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jes! The one in AfR is pretty great too.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.