Search This Blog

Loading...

Friday, November 29, 2013

Our All-Vegan Thanksgiving

I am thankful for my lovely, intelligent, understanding, and kind family. Thanksgivings past have not left me hungry and no one has questioned my lifestyle choices. They uncomplainingly have swapped out chicken broth for vegetable broth, used oil instead of butter and do not make faces at the vegan sides and desserts I supply. I know not everyone is so lucky.
This year my aunt and uncle who usually host Thanksgiving were traveling, so my folks and I went to our friends, Pam and Ed's, apartment. Their niece Dani and Pam's friend and her daughter were also there.
Pam is very involved with Catholic Concern for Animals, and I believe it was she who let me know about the viewing of a Peaceable Kingdom. I'm not positive either Pam or Ed are vegetarians or vegans, but I know they are very open minded and certainly do their best. This year they hosted an entirely vegan Thanksgiving! And, unsurprisingly, everything was delicious.
Cornbread with Earth Balance and apricot jam the morning of while I prepped.


I was in charge of the main dish. At Pam's request, I stuffed two small(ish) (3 lbs or so?) sugar pumpkins. The pumpkins I bought at the farmer's market, and the stuffing was Polenta, (Tofurky) Sausage, and mushroom stuffing from Nava Atlas' Vegan Holiday Kitchen.

 I made the stuffing the night before. Thursday morning I scooped out and pre-baked the pumpkins at 350* for about 45 minutes.


I put the stuffing in, and brought it to Pam and Ed's. We cooked the stuffed pumpkins there for about another 45 minutes, until the flesh could be pierced with a fork.
my parents contributed roasted fennel, leeks and a dessert:


We didn't eat these, but I thought they were so pretty. These are from my mom's tomato plant in their yard.

Pam had prepared a quinoa, black bean, bell pepper, and pea dish as well as a raw, massaged kale salad! Not sure what was on the kale salad but it was really great. Looked like hemp seeds, maybe?

She also made a delicious sweet potato, carrot, and lentil with chipotles stew that I didn't get a separate photo of, but was really delicious and nicely spicy.
my plate:

It's hard to see, but going clockwise from the pumpkin at the top left: pumpkin topped with stuffing, leeks, cranberry sauce brought by Pam's friend, the quinoa dish, kale salad, sweet potato-lentil stew, and roasted fennel. Believe it or not I didn't go back for seconds. This was definitely filling enough.
For dessert, my mom made baked apples which were sooooo good! She put maple syrup, dates, raisins, and walnuts in them and oh mannnnnn they were good. I also baked ginger cookies with raisins, another Vegan Holiday Kitchen recipe, which went well with the warm apples.


They drove me home and I made some tea before going out with a friend for some drinks.
It was a lovely get together - calm and nicely paced. Thank you so much to Pam and Ed for the holiday companionship, conversation and the food!
Leftovers lunch, still goin' strong:


Thumbs up for you, Wak. Peep my sweet gloves my friend Antonia made me! Annnndd does anyone have any ideas on how to use up the rest of the fresh sage and rosemary??
Edited to add photos from Pam:


 And my mom. This is her plate:

19 comments:

  1. What a lovely feast! Oh, and just dry the sage and the rosemary. Both herbs dry well and easily and store for a good long while. If you need a hand with that, here you go:
    http://veganfazool.blogspot.com/2012/10/home-dried-herbs.html

    Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the idea, Dawn. Crumbling dried sage is fun...

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous meal! I hope to be able to have an all vegan Thanksgiving one day, You are so lucky to have such wonderful people in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a really lovely Thanksgiving meal! How amazing that it was entirely vegan. It must have felt so good to know that everyone was enjoying a compassionate meal at your table. That is certainly something to be thankful for! Sounds like you were in really great company, they sound like an amazing group of people! It looks perfect and oh man those baked apples look and sound incredible!

    I LOVE those gloves!! I'm so jealous! As for rosemary, I don't know if you eat potatoes but potatoes roasted with rosemary are ridiculously good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great; one of the younger guests has apparently cooked a lot of vegan food but doesn't often share it with people so I imagine that was nice for her too. It was nice to talk about the food with people who had an understanding of the food and lifestyle.
      I love the gloves! wish i could knit something useful...

      Delete
  4. What a perfect Maud-friendly meal! And your mum's baked apples sound almost exactly like my dad's special baked apples, which I've been meaning to recreate here in Canada :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maud and non-human animal friendly.
      Parents' baked apples are the best baked apple. Would love to see yr version.

      Delete
  5. Looks pretty idyllic. Pam and Ed sound super cool. Your stuffing looks excellent, but I'm not shelling out to buy the book for the recipe.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll send it to you. It's pretty easy. You'll probably like it. And the polenta was from a tube so it's probably not something you'll need to feed to the guinea fowl.

      Delete
  6. Your Thanksgiving looks and sounds so nice — great food and company in a relaxed setting. I love when a holiday meal comes together without stress and complications.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AGREED. So glad I can still be a guest. Hosting even smaller get togethers are still pretty stressful.

      Delete
  7. Wow!! That is such an awesome meal- i'm painfully jealous! The stuffed pumpkin is spectacular, looks like a great candidate for my xmas dinner.....those cookies sound really good too.
    Fried sage leaves are amazing with squash or squash soups- just heat 1/2" or so oil until bubbly and toss them in for like ten seconds. Fish out with a fork and sprinkle with salt. They get crispy as they cool. The rosemary will last forever, i add it to any roasting veggies or soups
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cookies were cakey, which some people don't like (but I do.) Do you have the cookbook??
      Fried sage sounds incredible but I don't really fry things... there is a first time for everything, though.

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful, wonderful dinner. The pumpkins and stuffing sound so good, and everything else too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful stuffed pumpkin! I need to try that next year. And totally wondeful how supportive your family and friends are to your diet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great bunch of people and a great bunch of food. I don't have many horror stories about being vegan on the holidays, and I'm exceedingly grateful for that. Love that pumpkin - nothing more impressive than plonking down a huge squash on your table!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.