Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, November 25, 2013

SNAX, mostly

 Breakfast: Rising Sun smoothie, cuppa Joe with half Cafe Du Monde coffee + chicory

I love this mug. G and I found two on the streets in Gowanus two years ago. This says Lapin, French for rabbit. The other one said Grenouille - it was a picture of a frog on a green mug but I think it's since been broken.

 After breakfast I went into the city for a Trader Joe's haul. Low Sodium roasted pistachios, fresh herbs for Thanksgiving, dried cranverries, GF brown rice bread, a few snack bars, almond butter (new packaging since its return), unsweetened applesauce, Irish Breakfast tea, and Vanilla & Cinnamon black tea! I used to love that stuff and had forgotten about it! I've been drinking a lot of tea in the evenings, though, so I wanted something I'd enjoy. After this I stopped by the bookstore briefly and went to the Farmer's market (bought two smallish sugar pumpkins for Thanksgiving for $5.25)
Snacks from the haul throughout the day:

              Caramel Nut Brownie Luna Bar. You can trick yrself into thinking it's candy.

For lunch I had made another recipe from Isa Does It, as temperatures were at 27* today. This is Sweet Potato Red Curry with Rice and Purple Kale. (I used green kale I HOPE THAT'S OKAY WITH EVERYONE.)
Swimming in a coconutty sea. Ginger, onions, coconut milk, and red curry paste made this smell amazing as it cooks. It's sweeter and not as spicy as I thought it would be but it's delicious. Plus the texture of kale is great in soups.

                             more snacking. Gala apple from the farmer's market the other day.


As you can see, there was a lot of random handfuls of food to mouth throughout the day so I wasn't super hungry for a proper dinner. I also cooked some chickpeas for the week and popped a couple of those in my mouth, and made a cornbread. Ate some of that right out of the oven, and more of it with cranberry-apple butter and the vanilla cinnamon tea.
"Full as Fuck," I believe they say. Or at least I do.

21 comments:

  1. Yay I love snacks!! The tea sounds absolutely delicious! I need to start drinking more tea now I think. It's getting to be that time of year where hot tea is exactly what I need to warm my soul. You are so right about Luna bars! If I ever want something decadent but a slightly better choice that chemically candy I'll reach for a Luna bar. They are really good as an occasional treat. The curry is gorgeous and the apple is so big and looks perfect. Love apple season :) I can't think of anything better than warm cornbread from the oven with cranberry apple butter. So delicious! I bet your apt smelled amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, the Luna bars are chemically too, I guess but I'm kinda done caring about that. I eat them infrequently enough and they at least have vitamins that straight up chocolate bars don't. Eh.
      The cornbread was a funny texture, but I can't tell if it made me like it less or more than usual!

      Delete
  2. My high school French teacher would be so proud; I totally remembered both lapin and grenouille. She'd be less proud of the fact that I can't construct full sentences anymore, but whatevs. Lunacandy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my favorite French food word is craquelins! Je l'aime beaucoup. Isn't Canada the place to brush up on yr French?

      Delete
  3. Hey — we made the coconut soup! It's really good. Only one or two more recipes to go and I can write my review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's delicious! Can't wait to see how the rest of the book has been keeping you busy.

      Delete
  4. I love that tj's tea also but have to stick to decaf since i drink it at night (crazy amounts of coffee are injested before 3pm though. None of it with chicory though...) i like the african rooibus blahblah whatever its called tea from tj's too. That curry looks delicious! Perfect for this ohmygoditssocold weather lately.
    Have you ever made congee? That could be a good use of your rice....
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drink it at night too, but luckily am not really affected by the caffeine. Rooibos is good; one of my favorite brands/flavors is Celestial Seasonings' madagascar vanilla rooibos...It's really nice iced in the summer.
      Never made or had congee. Will look into that!

      Delete
  5. Street dishes are the best. I have a couple of little bowls I found up the street from the Myrtle/Washington intersection and I LOVE them.

    Also, I want that curry right the hell now. CURRYYY. There has definitely not been sufficient kale so far this fall, I tell you what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah what is it about Brooklyn that people just leave their dishes outside... and other people take them??
      Curry + kale is a no-fail combo! Get on that!

      Delete
  6. Green kale when the recipe called for purple? It's an abomination! I can't even read this blog anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never even had orange broccoli...... :(

      Delete
  7. Low-sodium Pistachios definitely sound like the way to go -- if I ever risk eating Pistachios again after the salt overdose from my last experience.

    I've ever seen/heard of Purple Kale, so you are excused.

    Additionally, I'm giving you a pass on your 'French' mugs which probably say 'Made in China' on the bottom. I'm feeling friendly or something weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the salt really messes up my skin when I'm cracking the shells open too! my hands get really dried out.
      I've seen purple kale...but was too lazy to search it out.
      The mugs do say made in China..... so, thanks.

      Delete
  8. We're down to about 10 weeks until Trader Joe's finally opens. We'll see how many weeks I have to wait before deciding to brave the chaos to get inside. In the meantime, great snacks you picked up!

    I also have not seen purple kale, so you are forgiven. ;)

    Have a great holiday, Maud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are gonna go bonkers in there yr first trip, I can feel it :)

      Delete
  9. I love pistachios - activity nuts! And sign me up for the brownie bar too. I can handle candy lookalikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! ha! I think part of the reason I always eat so many is that I love opening them!

      Delete
  10. The mug is cute & rabbit is my Asian sign ;) What an amazing Trader Joe’s haul, I love TJs! Have you tried their peppermint chocolate squares? I’ve been eating them everyday ;( The curry looks delicious with the kale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mine is a rat...but I much prefer drinking out of a rabbit mug.
      Haven't tried the peppermint squares; I try to stay away from the candy aisles or else I will buy that and nothing else.

      Delete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.