Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, December 2, 2013

Recent Eats

Hey, cranberries are on sale! How can you turn down such fun and healthful berries? They got me thinking about Kristen's holiday chia pudding, which I, uh, didn't exactly make but still want to.

Instead, this is chia seeds, vanilla chai protein powder, chopped cranberries, and vanilla extract.

Here, basically the same glorm but with cacao nibs and 1/2 a mashed banana in there as well as the rest of the ingredients above.
Alternative breakfast has been:

Gluten-free toast with almond butter. One side apricot preserves, one side banana slices.
Recently snacking on roasted pumpkin seeds from Thanksgiving's innards.

Washed, air-dried, roasted with olive oil, salt, and cayenne pepper. In the oven for about 20 minutes at 350*.

A fantastic 4C salad: collards, carrots, chickpeas, and dried cranberries. Nooch and tahini on top. Thinking about taking this OVER THE TOP!!!! and adding croutons for a wild 5C salad.
Low on groceries toward the end of the week means miso soup:

                                                 kale, rice, onion, miso paste, spices

                                      kale, rice, onion, cooked yam, miso paste, spices
Today I went and bought a few supplementary groceries: canned whole tomatoes, more kale, etc. and made Isa's Coconut Chana Saag from Isa Does It.

This was pretty cheap to make, as I had all the (numerous! delicious!) spices on hand, as well as the exact amount needed of cooked chickpeas, and even lite coconut milk. So glad to have a pot of this for the week. Served today for lunch over leftover brown rice.
It's pretty warm today but the city is beginning to look a little like Christmas. I liked this shooting star over Grace Church.

21 comments:

  1. Great looking meals as always. I'm impressed by the raw cranberry consumption, I don't know if I'd be able to do raw... although if the pudding is sweetened at all that would probably help. The toast looks fantastic too. I've been craving fruit lately like crazy, bananas being high on the list so I'm definitely leaning toward the banana side. You are going to be my miso soup inspiration, I have some in my fridge that I need to use up and you can't beat some yummy miso soup on a chilly day. Looks like you are really enjoying Isa Does It! I have to check it out, I've been so out of it lately I don't even know what's in there :X Beautiful church shot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like tart things and the crunch of the cranberries is nice too. But I can understand some people don't like it.
      I just bought so many bananas.... they were on sale for 39 cents a lb, which is crazy!

      Delete
  2. I could go for some toasted pumpkin seeds right now. Too bad we didn't dissect any pumpkins for Thanksgiving. I like the look of the miso soup, too. I'm finding Isa's foods a little too rich — not sure what I'm going to write. My husband's been cooking and he's a slave to recipes where I would have adjusted them to my taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, which recipes have you been making? They've been pretty good for me so far, and I don't love rich foods either.

      Delete
  3. I'm not a huge cranberry lover, but I know they are on sale right now! Your toast makes my pb & j pale in comparison. ;) Delicious looking miso soup, I never thought of adding rice. Isa's dish also looks fantastic! I love how colorful all of your meals are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The toast was good :) I'm sure yrs was too.
      I add rice often; it's nice with a drizzle of toasted sesame oil. I used to buy rice noodles but I have rice on hand so often these days, it just makes sense.

      Delete
  4. The only multiple Cs I know are 3Cs (Chocolate Chip Cookies!), so this is an eye-opener. I am really eating worse than ever because in between recipe testing, I'm LAZY. Must open that Isa Does It...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I eat my fair share of cookies too :) Pretty sure there are even some cookie recipes in Isa's book!

      Delete
  5. 1) Yum chia pudding! 2) I made a big pot of miso soup this week too! (mushrooms, miso, arugula, carrots, ginger, garlic, red pepper). 3) I LOVE CHRISTMAS TIME AND AM JEALOUS YOU GET XMAS IN NYC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just bought mushrooms after not having them for so long. Definitely excited to make the next miso batch. Boston has a cheery holiday feel to it too!

      Delete
  6. You've really upped the FF Bowl challenge. I'm not sure I could eat a 4C Salad. That is some major mingling of foods. Then adding Nooch AND Tahini on top????

    I don't think I've ever eaten a fresh Cranberry before either. Gotta try that as well.

    Really impressive post. I'm over-awed. You've taken it to the next level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I challenge you to make yr next FF bowl have 4 Z ingredients. Fresh cranberries are good when chopped (or food processed) small enough. Also in smoothies!

      Delete
  7. Here is my Ignorant Australian question.... with the pumpkin seeds, do you eat the shells? I remember buying a packet of flavoured pumpkin seeds in the shells at UVA and eating it all, and my suitemate laughed at me. Which one of us was right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it's funny: I ate these whole too - it would seem like a huge hassle and waste to peel them. And we both turned out... alive, if not "okay." maybe yr friend was thinking of sunflower seeds? Not sure - I've never actually seen packaged pumpkin seeds.

      Delete
  8. Oh yeah, cranberries are the best! I have a bunch of them marinating in vodka with orange zest right now... :) I also think I need some of that chana saag immediately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am beginning my holiday infusions as well :) Orange rind all around.

      Delete
  9. Post thanksgiving food sales are always my favorite! I totally just picked up a Tofurkey for 50% off--win win win.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Creative chia puddings! I can't handle uncooked cranberries myself.... The chickpea curry sounds amazing-i crave anything hot and fragrant this time of year. I have been making more miso lately too- i picked up a "new" super dark red one, no clue what it says it is exactly but its really potent. Added tofu, spinach, green onions and shredded carrot to the last bowl.
    Pumpkin seeds made at home have a much more delicate and crunchy "shell" so you can eat the whole thing. Usually pumpkin seeds (aka pepitas) are sold without that shell.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  11. Channa and saag are meant to be together, in happy coconut glory. How long did you get your pumpkin seeds to last for? Mine went weird about 24 hours later...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your chia pudding looks fabulously yummy with these cranberries especially the 4C salad & the soups! Happy Holidays, the Grace Church looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.