Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, April 28, 2014

Zines and Siggy's

Sunday was a beautiful day for a zine fest!!!

 I got to the Brooklyn Historical Society (where it was being held) early to help my friends set up + spread the word - I chalked the sidewalks around the neighborhood.


I wasn't tabling but I brought a bunch of copies of my newest Marmalade Umlaut to trade:


And fueled up with a bagel (half Earth Balance, half vegan cream cheese) and coffee before I left.


It was a lot of fun and got kinda crowded, also I am a dope, so I didn't get any shots inside, but here is part of my haul:


Gut Feelings is a British zine! I had never met a person who came all the way from England for a zine fest before. And Runcible Spoon, based out of D.C. is another food zine - I actually did a piece for their new issue, The Bland Issue.


G met me at the zine fest, then we left and walked around Brooklyn Heights. More gratuitous shots, because I think it's a gorgeous neighborhood and it was such a nice day.


We ended up at Siggy's, which is an organic health food-y type cafe, but is not really vegan. We both ordered a tofu scramble, which came with home potatoes, toast, and a small salad.


We ate outside, and I also got a coffee partly to warm my hands...the better to flip through some new zines with.


Okay I gotta get off the internet and do some analog reading. If you wanna see a longer tour of the 'hood, there's some in this post. We did stop into Perelandra but I opted not to buy anything this time.

17 comments:

  1. I love your shots of the neighborhood. It was such a beautiful day with bright blue skies. Sounds like zine fest is a lot of fun and I bet it must be fun to speak to like minded people and get lots of new zines to read. And you got an amazing looking tofu scramble out of it too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, and I still have zines I haven't read from the Feminist Zine fest! One of these days I just have to sit down with them all, haha.

      Delete
  2. Those other zines look rather interesting. Are all these zine folks aspiring to one day be the head of Conde Nast?

    What's it like to just wander down the street and happen upon a place that serves Tofu Scramble?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The favorite zine I got was called Cats Hate Cops. It's all old microfilm articles of cats attacking cops, haha!
      The Runcible Spoon zine is verrry slick, I had to ask where they got it printed! Some real professionals out there, unlike moi.
      To be fair, G and I knew Siggy's was there and I had actually expected more vegan options.

      Delete
  3. Looks like it was a great day for a zine fest, and you came away with a few cool-looking reads. The scramble and potatoes look pretty good, too, and, as usual, the photos of Brooklyn Heights are terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very photogenic neighborhood. The potatoes were delicious! Rosemary-y.

      Delete
  4. What a great day! Sounds like the Zine fest was a success- i love a new pile of stuff to read. Great that you found some tofu scramble- so many of those "organic! Farm to table! Sustainable!" restaurants just seem to cater to omnis with a guilty conscience yet don't actually have vegan options.....

    I biked by the Strand today! I waved- did you see me? I was the citibiker in the black helmet dodging suicial pedestrians....
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, like I told Sarah, I really need to make an effort to READ these zines. I have a tendency to hoard...
      Haha there are so many of those pedestrians, and just as many suicidal bikers!

      Delete
  5. Runcible Spoon may be the best name for a zine I've ever heard of! Also, tofu scrambles need some sort of tomato element, I won't be budged on that, but I'm liking those spuds with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like the name, it's pretty clever. You might be right about the scram - it might have been nicer a bit moister.

      Delete
  6. Zine fest!!!!!! What fun!!! Also, you never fail to make me crave bagels. Never.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun :) As was eating the bagel.

      Delete
  7. I thought it said "I am dope" and I didn't question it. That plate from Siggy's (particularly the potatoes) looks awfully good for an omni restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, I'm usually too busy being awesome to take photographs...
      Siggy's was okay. They also had a vegan cookie and a vegan brownie inside.

      Delete
  8. This has me curious about whether such a thing exists in Denver. Or perhaps our population is too busy growing beards, growing their own weed, and making their own beer to be bothered with handmade gems like 'zines. Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this is *such* a beautiful neighborhood! I was totally in NYC this weekend, but it was for my mom's bday and we were seeing a show on Sunday, so I had no time for meeting fellow bloggers or doing ziney things. Le sigh. Next time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ingrid, (for some reason I can't reply directly right now...) that sounds EXACTLY like the type of crowd that would love zines, haha! I wonder if there is a zine scene there too. makin' zines about growing weed and sharing beard care tips.

    Raechel, next time, for sure! There are probably a few comics stores in Boston that sell zines, no? I haven't ever really looked for some reason.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.