Search This Blog

Loading...

Thursday, May 1, 2014

Warming Weather, Walks

Happy May Day / International Workers' Day / Beltane / First actually beautiful day of the Spring that I can remember day / etc.
I took the day off because it's my workerly right, and although I didn't attend any marches or rallies, my heart and hope is with everyone who did, and everyone who wanted to but couldn't. After pouring rain last night (and a leak in my bedroom ceiling) the weather was gorgeous once it cleared up early this morning.
I went for a walk to nearby Ridgewood Reservoir to celebrate, like, nature and stuff.
A bit of an unsavory walk along the Jackie Robinson Parkway led to the entrance to Highland Park, haha:


 Pathway around the reservoir. Very few people were out, just the way I like it:


View over Cypress Hills cemetary. You can't really see the church domes, but past that, way far out is Canarsie, Brooklyn.


The reservoir!

There are causeways a little closer to the water but they were closed off. Not sure if they ever are open anymore.
Here is some food I've been eating lately, higher raw and more salads; more representative of the nicer turning weather.

                                 GF toast with raw almond butter, banana, and cinnamon

                    Coffee swirls that look like the hurricane weather that mostly passed us over

   Gena's Choosing Raw raw walnut taco salad that I've been wanting to make for a long time.

             Kale, frozen banana, spirulina, tahini, protein powder, lemon, ginger smoothie

Arugula, avocado, rice, raw sunflower seeds, roasted carrot, tomato salad with nooch and Braggs.

I put sunscreen on even in the dead of winter, and certainly did today on the walk, but Haxan is a sunbathing beauty. The kitchen gets the most light but the tiles are cold, so it's funny to see her seek out the thin shafts of light that come through.
Avanti o popolo.


19 comments:

  1. I'm jealous that you took the day off and got to enjoy this gorgeous weather. I have off tomorrow and I'm hoping that it stays nice so I can enjoy it :) You got such beautiful pictures on your walk!

    What lovely meals you had. I had almond butter for the first time in a long time today and I forgot how much I love it! As any weather nerd would, I loved the swirly hurricane like swirl in the coffee ;) The taco salad looks incredible, the avocado looks so perfect! Your smoothie is such a pretty color too. Haha, love Haxan luxuriating in the sun light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go crazy when I don't have almond butter in the house! I feel like I eat too much of other stuff to make up for the lack!
      The taco salad was great - the avo was probably the best part.

      Delete
  2. I do hope you brought some mace with you on your nature walk. I've read too many horror stories...

    Thankfully, you apparently survived. I enjoyed the Salad and the Cat pic. Wish I could put together a worthwhile Salad, but it's a talent I lack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tiny but tough! Also there was NO ONE else out there, haha. The most dangerous part was that I thought a car would veer off the highway and hit me. mace wouldn't help there...
      You're getting better at the salads, if not the dressing part.

      Delete
    2. Oh great. No one else there to hear you scream is more like it.

      Delete
  3. I love long walks on beautiful spring days. Too bad I never remember to bring the camera — just the dog. It was 88˚ today, and I think right now (7:17 p.m.), it's 81. Did you like the walnut taco?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had a dog to force me out of the house to take long walks more often. maybe I should get Haxan a leash.
      The walnut taco meat was pretty good but I might have mis-measured the sundried tomatoes. It was a little acidic.

      Delete
  4. I often only remember the busier parts of NYC, and these are beautiful images to break that pattern!

    You have me curious about the walnut taco recipe!

    P.S. I'll get back to you on the Denver 'zine existence or lack thereof!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realized today that my favorite parts of the city are the parts that make me feel like I'm not in the city, which probably means I don't like it here as much as I ought to.
      A friend is moving to Denver to run an occult/whatever store - I'm hoping she'll stock some zines! maybe it will be the next hot spot.

      Delete
  5. As gorgeous as your healthy, spring eats are, they can't compete with that Haxan beauty: great face! Good on you for taking a day just for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I agree. She's such a doll.

      Delete
  6. I can't believe you have sun! I want sun! I've been eating a lot of nut butter with banana on toast lately too - so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, It was mostly that one day. It rained so hard after that!!

      Delete
  7. It would be so nice if warm weather would reach here. I've been feeling sick for almost a month now, and I completely blame this eight-month fricking winter for it.

    Your day looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stupid US is stupid with its stupid impossible visa-not-happening-ness. So I'll be heading home in a few months.

      Delete
  8. Wha… what's that glowing orb in the sky? I've not seen one of them before, but I think i'd like it. Your May Day kicked mine's arse - sun, workers day (we don't have one of them here, and so should), cat, taco salad. Highly approved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's FINALLY getting warm here. I hope you get some soon.
      Taco cat!

      Delete
  9. That looks like a beautiful day of the Spring along the Jackie Robinson Parkway, last week here in Oregon, it was 90s and then it was rainy and windy and cold like winter. The weather has been going on and off. Cemeteries are an interesting place to photograph, I really like the way Cypress Hills cemetery looks. Haxan is indeed a beauty, I love warming myself up in the sunlight wherever in the house, it gets so cold here for some reason! Nice recap on these meals you had - that smoothie looks super delish!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.