Search This Blog

Loading...

Monday, May 5, 2014

Weekend or Bust

Hey! Another busy weekend, which is a good thing. Sunday was Bust magazine's Get Primped Craftacular: handmade clothes, jewelry, and beauty stuffs.
I got there early - the first 300 visitors got a goodie bag!
But first, breakfast in McCarren Park:

                                                   HAG patch, coffee, Mineola orange
Actually, it's funny because I got to the fair and one of the vendors asked if she could take a photo of the Hag patch for a friend who identifies as a hag and I had to tell her about this graffiti I saw on the walk to the Craftacular, pretty much summing up how I identify:


Inside: I was really mostly here for the tarot readingzzz but I managed to pick up a couple things for mother's day, and for a friend who will be moving soon.

A lot of the beauty products (if not all) were vegan, which was great! There were a couple food booths inside that I didn't really bother with but Bust was also giving out free bottles of Red Jacket Orchards juice. This is Tart Cherry flavor, which I really liked. Definitely tart but with a nice aftertaste.


After leaving, I went down to G's where we did some deep Spring cleaning/tossing out old crap. Afterwards, we walked down the neighborhood a bit to Pilar Cuban Eatery, where we split a vegetable platter ($11.)

                                            avocado, pickled red onions, tomatoes

                               And black beans, maduros (sweet plantains,) and white rice.
It was all really well cooked and very fresh. Definitely hit the spot. The interior is nice, the counter guy was nice and attentive, even though it got busy. Pilar also makes an effort to have vegetarian and vegan options available daily, which is not always something you see with Cuban food! It is located around the corner from Clementine, if you need to hit yr sweet tooth.
Also, just a follow up from last weekend's zine fest, here's a picture of me at the Runcible Spoon booth! Haha, it kinda looks like I have a unibrow but WHATEVER. The Runcible food zine isn't vegan but it's really funny and cute. You can buy it on Etsy. Umlauts you can buy through PayPal. That is all.

26 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to see a photo of you! You are spectacular. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thaaanks. You are too, ya know.

      Delete
  2. Assume all went well with the Tarot Card readings. A foot massage I'll take. I can massage my own hands.

    Based on that bottom pic, I'd peg you more as a Pixie than a Hag. All happy with your miniature mags. Hey! A Mag Hag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reading was promising. They should have done palm reading instead - it's a hand massage and divination all in one!
      I am a mag hag, that's for sure. Greg calls me a crone... you can't see how gray my hair is in that shot, hah.

      Delete
  3. Oh man, tart cherry juice! I am extra jealous now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red Jacket is a local business - they show up at the farmer's market all the time, and city fairs, but I think they're sold elsewhere?

      Delete
  4. I wish I would have known about this fair/festival thing! It sounds like something I think I would enjoy! The tart cherry juice sounds fantastic. The bright red building in the park is so pretty and vibrant.

    We must be on the same wavelength because I did a deep cleaning/decluttering today!! It felt so cathartic. I still have some crap to get rid of but I felt so productive today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you probably would have liked it. I wish i could have bought more stuff but a lot of it was super expensive. The jewelry was beautiful...maybe if someone bought it for me!
      Getting rid of stuff is totally a breath of fresh air.

      Delete
  5. Fun day! Great score on free red jacket juice, their hot apple cider at their booth in union sq is the only reason i go to the market when its cold. And vegan cuban food?? Awesome- and nearly unheard of.
    You are so gorgeous!! Love the blue glasses too.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gotten hot apple cider, but I think never from them! Don't know if you've ever gone to the Ft. Tyron medieval fair, but Red Jacket usually has a stand there too. Definitely good stuff.
      Thanks! Though I think I prefer anonymity... you can probably understand that...

      Delete
  6. What a fun day! That sounds like a perfect spring Saturday. Plus, I always find the combo of black beans, rice, and plantains kind of perfect. Such simple food but they all work so well together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely - G says that's the sign of a great cook: the simplest things cooked to perfection.

      Delete
  7. I am envious of the Bust craft shows in NY. I wish they would come to the west coast! I want to try to seek out some plantains this weekend - that dish looks amazing and I want to try to recreate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kendy, Bust is bringing their Craftacular to LA! Not sure how close you are, but it's a lot closer than NY.

      Delete
  8. So sad to have missed this; I had spare time on Sunday and would have loved to have swung by! So glad your day was so rad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is too bad! We could have had a drink and not spent money on pricey jewelry!

      Delete
  9. Sounds like an interesting festival with lots to see and do. I probably would have come home with an armload of stuff. I like that you were able to find vegan food at a Cuban place — very unusual, but maybe things are changing. I think you're too young to be a crone, grey hair or not, but what do I know? :) Cute photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm not wise enough to be a crone, but I sure feel croney. Ha!
      Champs (the vegan diner here in NY) has a version of a Cuban sandwich with a ton of fake meat. Nice idea, but I prefer the fresh vegetables and rice + beans.

      Delete
  10. Look at your cute self! I love the last photo! We don't have much in the way of Cuban here, but the Mexican restaurants are impossible. Your plate looks amazing! My findings are rough, and in need to further investigation, but there is a Denver Zine Library, and a ZineFest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! Seeing people behind the blog is fun sometimes.
      Denver Zine Library sounds awesome! Even here, there are only three official ones that I know about. maybe one day I can travel out to the Denver zinefest and stay in air B&B with Remy.

      Delete
  11. Cuban = yes please. Rice, beans, and plantains are one of those things that make my guts very happy.
    And yay to seeing person behind the blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't eat it enough! It makes my gut happy too.

      Delete
  12. The Best Lol n Troll Network with the Name of Lols Gag... Troll Images, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, funny planet, funny facts, funny cartoons, funny movies pics, iphone funny, funny jokes, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Lols and Gags, Lol Pictures, Funny Pictures, Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited.
    LolsGag.Blogspot.Com

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an enlightening day and that tart cherry juice looks like a morning beverage I would go for. That rice dish is reminiscent of the dishes I had in Colombia and Peru, I miss these crazy beans and fried sweet plantains. About time I saw your face - love the cute hair! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. All Kind of Current Affairs, Latest Hot News updates, Classified Sites, Pakistani Classified Sites, USA Classifieds, Indian Classifieds, Entertainment Articles, Entertainment News, Entertainment Pictures, Bollywood, Hollywood and Lollywood Pictures and Videos, Entertainment Latest updates, Hot Entertainment News and Pictures Funny Entertainment Pictures, lol Pictures, Funny Pictures and Much More Fun Only on 1 Current Affairs Network
    hotcurrentaffairs.com

    ReplyDelete

Leave a message and I'll call you back.